Saturday, January 30, 2010

Treading Life's Waters

I'm amazed. My husband remembers all the little details about our babies. Like which one cried the instant her diaper was dirty. Strange. I don't remember that. Or even half of those tiny details he does. He's like a walking baby book. Thankful for that. (I can, however, remember when each baby started sleeping through the night. That is monumental in my world. Logan took the longest, Izzy quickly made my life easy.) The lack of remembering sort of made me wonder, am I that bad of a mom? Now it's painfully clear why I don't just remember. Sleep deprivation. Even though my dear husband wakes up with the kids and gets them off to school so that I might sleep in. (Thank you, Zane!)

Babies consume your life. I literally spent two hours straight just on the baby alone this morning. I'm unsure what it is, but this baby is by far the hardest to adjust to. Not only do I have this tiny, beautiful, helpless baby to take care of: but I have four other kids. And oddly enough, they still go to school and come home with homework, dirty their clothes, themselves, get hungry, etc. I feel like I have a juggling act in the circus and I'm constantly dropping a ball.
It's really hard to have to say to your child time after time, "Not right now. I have to finish feeding the baby." Especially when your other children need you, too. Maybe not in the completely needy way a baby does. But they need you none the less. I can see it in each of them, in their own way. And it squeezes my heart a little, especially with the heightened emotions you experience after baby comes.

We'll get there. Maybe when life slows down, it's throwing a lot at us right now. With baby, the possibility of hip issues again, the relo headaches (very much plural) and everything else that's been happening. Gah! So if I'm not here often, it's not you- it's me. It's life. And we're taking it one minute at a time.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wish I were closer so I could help out. Missing you and yours.

Anonymous said...

That's really cute and neat that Zane remembers all the details. I would love to come help out too. Sounds like a lot going on in your life.

ethiopifinn said...

i, for one, think you are amazing.

that first couple of months *is* exhausting with a new baby. kids are resilient. and they do know you love them, even if you have to take a bit longer than you'd like to attend to them.
i should know. i have *TWO* children, so i am totally an expert on all things childrearing.

that rockstar mama is still in you, she is just really, really stinkin' tired sometimes!

MindiJo said...

T & A- Pfft. You are totally just saying that because you are a safe distance away to volunteer. ;) I wish you could be here, too.

E- Thanks. I needed that. Didn't realize I did.

Leanne said...

I think the first six weeks are simply a settling in period. For both of my boys, it was about that time that we hit a groove. The baby figures out their schedule and mom finds a way to do everything she used to for her other children and the new baby. Hang in there; you're doing a remarkable job.

Don't worry about us. We'll be here when you get back.

Hugs to you, my friend.

JoLynn said...

Thanks for this post. I have been feeling a bit overwhelmed in the last couple of weeks adjusting over here. We definitely have good days, but other days, oh boy...I'd love to have a super nanny! :) My baby sleeps really good at night too (usually a 6 hour stretch) so I feel like I shouldn't be so tired, but I still am. That's life when you have other kids I guess. Sometimes to get things done and have a little quiet time I stay up late (hence the really late time right now). I am more of a night owl than a morning person, and I like to try and get as much ready for the next day as possible to have things go a little smoother.

Anyhow, I hope your days get easier. Don't feel guilty about just relaxing and holding that sweet baby of yours...they grow up and out of your arms too fast! Let us know if there's anything you need help with on the relocation process. We'd love to be able to help you out!

Peg said...

Had to hop in on baby discussion. My boy is 7 weeks. Feel like I still get nothing done. Just spend hours taking care of cutie. I have all these things I want to do (make 100 pasties, paint a room a different color, clean the cupboards,etc...) Doesn't pay. The minute I start something new, baby needs me. So we sit and rock and nurse and change and sit and rock and nurse and change. At this point we're just lucky to stay on top of daily life. Oh well, I have to think that in a couple months, he won't be so high maintenance. And really, what's better? Clean cupboards, or holding the babes?

New baby for Jolynn too? We are all in the same boat it sounds!

Julie said...

Ah, hang in there, girl! Your focus is where it needs to be. Your other kiddos will be fine and it won't be long and that baby will be crawling. Let the dishes go, the laundry go, and concentrate on your fam. You are one amazing woman!

Love that Zane remembers all the details! I forget them too. Lack of sleep *is* the culprit.

Hugs!

Kristy said...

Mindi you are amazing. Gosh I was whining to Ryan that I just wanted to sit down tonight. I was trying to do laundry, clean & make supper. Thanks for reminding me that I have it easy:) All you mothers are amazing. Hoping things settle down.

JoLynn said...

Peggy,
Hi there! :) New baby for me too...a girl (born Dec. 16th). When was your babe born? Congrats BTW (I don't think I knew you were expecting)! Hope all is well there! :)
JoLynn

P.S. Sorry Mindi to use your blog as a message board...just thought I'd reply to Peg's comment. :)

Kristy M said...

My baby is 9 1/2 months and I still feel like I am treading water! He was really good, and getting fairly good at playing and Lilliana is a big help, but just when you start to feel settled life throws you a curve ball. He went and broke his femur and wants to be held ALL of the time. We try to hold him as much as possible since he had other issues with a sore hip and don't want the other kids doing more damage but it makes it hard to get stuff done, laundry piled up and sat in the washer and dryer, bathrooms got really dirty and the other joys. But it will be over soon (cast comes off Thursday) and hopefully he will be as good as new! Hang in there before you know it she will be walking and helping create more work, but fun work. As someone just told me, they would look at the laundry and think, I'd rather do this than go to work and face a crabby boss and be in meetings all day. I should have just sent you an email instead of writing a book here!

Anonymous said...

To Jolynn:

Boy for Us. Dec 11th. He's the tiebreaker. 4 boys, 3 girls. So yours is very close in age! Good to know there's a few of us in the same boat. Congrats to you too! I swear you just had your first, though. And now 3?

Peggy

JoLynn said...

To Peggy:

How fun that we're at the same stage w/our babies. Crazy that you have 7 already, hey? This is girl #3 for us, so we don't have any "blue" yet in this house, but that's okay...I'm not sure if I would know what to do if a boy does come our way. :) And yes, it does seem like yesterday that we had Maren (she'll be 4 in Feb)!

I again apologize Mindi for using your blog as a means of communicating w/Peggy, but it's been awhile! :) Peggy, feel free to email me if u want!! [jojop99(at)yahoo].

Kristy...hope your baby is doing better...Katie was telling me about him...poor little guy!!

MindiJo said...

Jolynn- no worries!

Thanks for that, guys. So glad I'm not the only one. Kristy E, that counts! It's all what you are used to.

MindiJo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.