Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Oh, whoops.

Oh. Heh. I knew that.

If you have surgery and have pins/plates/bolts or any kind of metal put in, you can't go to the dentist without being on an antibiotic first. The risk of bacteria traveling to and colonizing around the metal, thus causing an infection, is too great. With all the chaos of emotions and instruction and all that good stuff that goes hand in hand with your child's surgical procedure, some things get stuffed haphazardly in the back of your brain. Like this.

Unwittingly, I scheduled a dental cleaning for Logan and never got him on meds first. This bit of pertinent info never resurfaced as the appointment approached. And when the dental hygienist explained it to me, I was a little stunned. And then it started slowly making it's way to the surface. Oh. Heh. I knew that. Sigh. Life can never be simple.

And here I was all proud of myself for remembering the appointment- well, four appointments in- the first place. (L, Maddie, Haley and me) Lately, I've been a bit delinquent on appointments. Like four or five appointments. Whoops. When I forget to check my mostly blank calendar, things go to pot. People like me bug me. If you say you are going to be somewhere, then be there. The whole "rules are meant to be broken" thing never made sense to me.

At least this time I could play it off like it wasn't my fault...

3 comments:

Julie said...

You've got a lot to remember! Go easy on yourself, girl. :) Ooo, I just remembered I need to schedule a few appointments. Rats.

Anonymous said...

I know I need to schedule appointments...I am avoiding them:)

Kristy

Sue said...

I have had metal pins in me for almost 19 years, and with 7 shoulder surgeries I get new metal put in and have never had to get on an antibiotic for the dentist...know some others with metal on the inside that never do either...interesting. Going to ask this new dentist we are seeing what she thinks.