Monday, September 24, 2012

Lucky to have them

 Let's be honest here, if there was a book about cute kids- my friends would totally have a chapter in it. I mean, seriously.  Doesn't get much cuter that this.  Speaking of cute, you are so cute with your "take a picture of your non-mom jeans butt and post it for the world to see!" Yeah.  That'll happen.  I'm actually okay with you not believing me.  And thanks for the laughs.
 I survived 2+ weeks without my husband.  AND.  Not only was he not here, he didn't have cell phone service.  Besides a leaking water issue, the occasional kid talking back, and a few assorted other bumps in the road, it went okay.  That being said, I HATED it.  Hated not having backup.  Hated not being able to bounce ideas off of someone better than I.  Hated not having someone to unwind with every evening.  Hated the lack of adult conversation all weekend.  Hated single parenting, period. Kudos to those who do it all the time.  (Thank goodness for the moms of these cute kids.  They got me out of the house enough to make the time go by a lot faster.)
 I totally have a new appreciation for my husband.  It's good to have time apart in a marriage.  And.  I think that Zane enjoyed his two weeks in the mountains.  He didn't shoot an elk, but he had fun nonetheless.  And now we are all back together and not taking each other for granted.  For the time being.
 Which reminds me.  A friend from high school lost his wife to cancer this past week.  I'm starting to get a complex over here, with this evil disease.  It's so unfair.  And it's really, really scary how many people in my life are affected by it.  It also means that people my age can lose their spouse.  It's so surreal.  A part of me was hoping that we were still invincible.  I guess we need to make as many healthy life choices as possible, and hope that that is enough.
 I'm really, really lucky to have the people I have in my life.  And I'll try really hard to remember each day how blessed I am.

4 comments:

ethiopifinn said...

i have hot eyes.

your friends' kids are cute, but your friends here in the photo are BEAUTIFUL!

it is not fun, this cancer and reality part of growing up.

xo

Julie said...

C'mon! It's only fair that you post a before and after of the Mom Bum Jean Debacle.

I'm sorry- it's scary, this cancer disease.

Glad your hubby's back. That's a long time to go without back-up, small talk, and a significant other who gets you and your life. WIFE OF THE YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MindiJo said...

Jenny- They *are* beautiful. Come to think of it, *all* of my friends are. You included.

Julie- It is good to have him back. SO GOOD.

Anonymous said...

We do take things for granted, don't we?

Sorry to hear about your friend. It is so scary to think about losing loved ones.

Kristy