Shoot. Does anyone out there have the manual for raising kids? I don't have an answer that I desperately need.
Up until now, I've had complete confidence in the specialist that I have used with all of my girls and their hips issues. For the sake of saving money, we decided to try a specialist closer to home for Kaija. Seeing how the specialist here and our standby in MN said essentially the same thing for Logan's hips. (BTW: he's relatively pain free right now, but has to start therapy as he has a small hitch in his giddy-up due to tight muscles. No biggie, really. We were forewarned that this could potentially come up.)
Anywho, they did not see eye to eye on Kaija's issues. I should have been giddy with excitement when the Dr. told me that Kaija's hip angles are within normal range for someone her age. Yet, because of the strong family history, we should still continue bracing. Only at night versus all day. Instead, I could have burst out crying. Because I knew it would fall on our shoulders as Kaija's parents to make the right call in her treatment. She had mentioned a couple other things that contradicted our other specialist. And when I googled it, I think she was right on those couple things. Huh. Although, it could be seen as a difference of opinion. And- it was the Internet. You can trust certain sources only so much...
So the dilemma, the facts and opinions.
1. Our first specialist knows our family history so thoroughly. He was Haley's surgeon, for crying out loud.
2. He's one of the top guys in the country for what he does. But is part of that because he errs on the side of caution? just to guarantee quicker results? instead of allowing things to correct themselves? which, btw, can happen. Depending on the severity.
3. This is the second specialist to contradict him. Different baby.
4. If I had a child require surgery, I would use him again. In a heartbeat.
5. Or is it my heart confusing my brain? Because I so want my baby to be ok already? And because my back hurts from holding my baby in this brace?
6. And where- I don't remember- did we get our info that he was one of the top guys in the country, again? I'm so seriously doubting this all and it's a huge frustration.
7. I'm getting a third opinion. Until then... to brace or not to brace, that is the question.
8. I like rules so you know I'm going to brace. To err on the side of caution, although I may potentially be cursing that very statement before long.
***It is worth noting that the first specialist has not viewed the 7 month x-rays yet. I will weigh his opinion on them when he contacts me. Although I am an optimist, I realize that the odds of her improving this drastically in three months are pretty slim. I will share his opinion when I get it. ***
Oh! And can I please borrow your manual?
9 comments:
This kind of stuff makes being the grown up rather poopy. You have a lot of experience with hips. You have a strong instinct...trust yourself (and your man, of course.)
it isn't the same as hips, as far as what they do for your body, but we had theo in a helmet for his head shape. i so trusted what all the docs and therapists recommended, because it was so scary and we felt so clueless. some people had opinions that made me want to vomit (friends and family). in the end, we took it off earlier than the therapist would have hoped, because we were so exhausted (it was only 3 or 4 months). he didn't care (theo didn't) or mind wearing it.
we're watching judah's head now..."do you think its flat there? how 'bout today." our doc wasn't worried a bit.
these hips don't lie.
sorry. it just popped out of my mouth.
sending you love!
Oh, sad. :'(
I have absolutely no good advice, unfortunately, except that even if you're not sure of the answer, you're doing the right thing. One day at a time.
XOXO
Awful. I have no advice. Trust your instincts.
Kristy
I dont have a manual for you but I agree with you. That would be tough to know what to do. I would be doubting the second opinion too and would probably be cautious about it- but sometime I can be a cautious person.
Oh boy, those poor little hips:( I don't think it ever hurts to have a second opinion, but it kind of makes it stressful when you get two different opinions! You guys will figure it out, have no fear. And I think you just keep going back to the Gillette doc because he's hot, which means that you MAY have cloudy judgement as to if his opinion is best;) My advice is to make Zane decide what to do, cause then it won't be your fault! Just kidding Zane if you are reading this! About both things, Mindi does NOT think that doctor is one bit good looking!
Ah, shoot. Being a mom is so hard. I have a feeling we will run into a similar thing soon with Lilah's feet- she wears orthotics. Soon we will have to bring her to a new doc due to change in insurance. I have never gotten 2nd opinion, but will now- I wonder what they will say?
I am not very good about her wearing her orthotics in the summer.
Good luck!
Go with your gut. There's no right/wrong, and it's not easy to navigate those things. We butted heads with one of Gregory's specialists who is **awesome** and very respected- he was taken aback that we were talking second opinions. But, we do what we need to for our kids. Whatever you decide- have confidence. It's hard but you're prepared and you can do it. :)
I wish I had a manual for you! That's gotta be tough. Follow your gut and everything else will fall into place. Although, I can't imagine how confusing it is to have conflicted opinions from doctor's especially for such an important issue. Your gut can be a pretty failproof method to follow though! :)
~ Jennifer
I hear you on different doctors. I had the same neurologist from downstate for many years, 8?, I don't know. But I finally made a switch when I was pregnant with Kendall to the doctor up here because I needed to. Unfortunately, he claimed I needed a much higher dose of medication than what I had, because (from the way I took it anyway) MOST people on my medication have a higher dose than what I was on. Umm. Okay?!! It's worked for me for the past 5 years with no issues! But of course, he made me nervous being pregnant and I made the switch to match up to what is recommended. I still wonder about it and wonder how much it effects my babies. :(
Good luck.
Post a Comment