A random conversation with a complete stranger can turn into something that you carry with you for the rest of your life. You know how they say you are put next someone on an airplane for a reason? Why wouldn't that be true for anyone that crosses your path?
When we first moved to New Mexico, we were out exploring the state and stopped at a park for the kids to stretch their legs. I noticed a little shop across the road and went to check it out. It was a quaint little art gallery. An amazing place. It was filled with all the beautiful art pieces that are so unique to New Mexico and amazing photography from around the state. The owner was an interesting, eccentric man. We immediately started an easy conversation about New Mexico and the reasons that brought us there. As I browsed, he made jewelery and we chatted. I was in there for a quite a while, it was such an interesting conversation. I was pregnant and a little overwhelmed with the big move and not having many friends. The volume of adult conversation at that time was pretty minute. So I really treasured it.
Maybe he sensed how overwhelmed I was. I don't know. When he gave me my change, he pressed this piece of crystal in my hand and told me to carry it with me. He said to rub it and it would bring me good luck and then he wished me well. I don't know how to explain it. I felt like if I ever went back there, the little shop wouldn't be there anymore. Like it was a figment of my imagination. Put there because it was what I needed at the time. Still to this day, I have the crystal. And I carry it in my pocket when I think I really need it. Not so much because I think it will bring me good luck, but it reminds me that there is so much good in people. Even strangers. And that everyone around us has something to bring to the table, if only we let them.
What's the most memorable gift that you have ever been given by a complete stranger? Tangible or not...
11 comments:
This made my day! Thank you. I love this story. It made me tear up. I love to hear about the simple little things strangers do that stick with you forever :)
Now THAT is cool! Thanks 4 sharing that one. :) don't you just love people?? I luv that you said everyone brings something 2 the table if we let them. Every person you encounter, is for a reason...even if it's 5 min. :) looove it!
Just today, as I was walking into Meijers with my two lil' boys, an old man stopped to give them each a penny (to ride the horse inside). His kindness just warmed my heart.
S and S- :)
Rebecca- see? So sweet. And for a total cost of 2 cents.
That is a really cute story. Thanks for sharing, its always nice to hear good stories like that. Sometimes, the little things can make such a big difference.
Oh wow. I love this, so much. I am constantly touched by strangers. I actually hesitate to call them that, because I think all people we come into contact with serve a purpose. I'm glad this crystal has brought you hope.
I like the photo and the story. You told it so well that I felt like I was there.
Kristy
I've been thinking, but I can't remember any. I know there are some though. I really like the story, and the moral of the story that everyone has something to offer if we let them.
Wow, I thought I was being sappy when I teared up...only to click on comments and find so many others reacted the same. My gift.When visiting Vera (Grandma) Daav yrs ago just 3 months after Hugo died, I commented on how very cheerful she seemed. She said, I learned long ago, "nothing stays the same"...She gave me a gift to carry in my heart forever. I pull it out often during hard times. It's a gift that keeps on giving. Our elders have MUCH to offer if we pay attention.
That's one of the sweetest stories I've ever heard! I love it. It's neat that you still have the 'treasure'. <3
Something(s) that we've been given by complete strangers is support and compassion for our little kiddo. People I've never met follow his Caringbridge site and sign his guestbook. It means the world to me- support from others is part of what keeps me going on tough days.
Blog hopping for the first time in like forever....(mostly cause I feel lazy and it keeps me sitting on my butt:P) This story is so awesome! That and the ones that I read before this. What a journey you have all been on. Hope that the normal is reurned to your house:)
~Amy Isaacson
Post a Comment