Monday, May 23, 2011

The Mindi O. Project

There. (brushing my hands together)

My square foot garden is put together and planted. And that's when I read about the big thunderstorm and the hail. Yikes. Please don't kill my plants, Mother Nature. Thank you. Good news is, half of the garden is seed. The other half, well. Hopefully not soon-to-be-dead-little-plants. I'm quite proud of our handiwork. (Z helped with the structural aspect.) And can't wait to reap the benefits, if this project produces. Since I killed a cactus once, I don't have a ton of confidence in myself.

It'll definitely make my little "Mindi O. Project" more fun. Michelle Obama started a good/bad project in our public schools. Good: it possibly introduces them to new fruits and veggies and encourages them to eat them. My kids school does not take advantage of this program, but some of my nieces and nephews benefit from it. Thanks to my aunt, their school cook. Bad: more spending. Anyway, it inspired me to turn up the volume in the fruits and veggies department in our own home. Thus, "Mindi O". It has not gone unnoticed by my kids. No longer can they go to Subway (for example) and order a sub with no veggies. Mean mom. And I've been giving them more than one veggie per meal. I'm not sure they are enjoying it as much as me, but they'll deal.

And hopefully learn to love their veggies. If all goes as planned, they will be eating them by the plateful before the end of summer. Thanks to Mindi-O. Join me. It's fun. And it doesn't cost the taxpayers a dime. You can even blame it on me.

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

I can't wait to get a garden in and have some fresh veggies in this house! ...but I have been known to kill a plant or two... Gotta get the hubby to work up some ground to see if anything will even grow in our sandbox:)

ethiopifinn said...

please rub off on me!!!!

my garden planner hasn't told me what i am doing in my garden this year, and we are well into the 3rd week of May.
MOMMMM!

Anonymous said...

I have always wanted a garden but I don't have confidence in myself.

Kristy

MindiJo said...

Cheryl- the lady at the gardening place says that all great gardeners kill plants. That's how they learn. So, you and I will both be great.
E- E's mommmmmmmmmmmm! Hurry!
Kristy- Why not? You are fabulous and you have a love for food, like me! :)