Thursday, August 18, 2011

I am laughing at me. With you.

It's so much fun when you have a good hair day. I had one once. Best day of my life.
It totally sucks when you have a bad hair day. Or bad hair life.
What's even worse? When even a good hair day won't draw the attention away from whatever else you got going on with your head. That didn't happen to me. The good hair day part.

I'm telling you this for two reasons.
1.) I'm actually trying to give you a nudge to get your moles checked out. If you are my friend, you will do it for yourself.
2.) Because we should lighten up a serious topic.

I had a nudge from a serious situation. And then another from a friend. And I went in and had that really weird looking spot on my part checked out. Turns out, on a scale of 1 to 5: 1 being fine, normal and 5 being cancerous, mine was a 3. It turned out to be nothing (really) for me, yet. So I am glad I got those nudges. Thank you. I went in for a second biopsy to have more area removed. Because they didn't get it all the first time and I sure hope they did this time.
So.
Totally unprepared, because my first biopsy was painless, I underestimated how ridiculous I'd appear for the next few days.

Walking out of the clinic: I had headwrap on. Which, from a distance would look like the headbands that you see people sporting with their ponytails these days. Except I wasn't smart enough to bring in a binder, so I couldn't even pull that off. My hair just sort of hung awkwardly this way and that. Oh, and my hair was streaked with blue from the permanent marker they used to mark the area. (They made a mistake and had to redo it, turning my hair blue.) Add to it: one eyebrow higher than the other. Really. If I had just had a biopsy on the other side, too, then I could walk around looking surprised instead of suspicious/skeptical/whatever emotion one raised eyebrow represents. Anywho. Headwrap, check. One eyebrow raised, check. Oh. And. My eyelids on the one side of my face twitching from the numbing medicine. Nice.

The doc explained to me that within the next day or so, I would end up with either a black eye or a puffy eye. Like almost puffed shut. So when I woke up on Tuesday and my eye was not black, but starting to puff- I thought I was going with the puffy eye. What actually happened was that my forehead became paralyzed and puffy. Yeah. It looks like I have a fat roll on my forehead. Is that even possible? Do people gain weight in their foreheads?! The swelling went away on my eyelids, though. Along with the twitching. But I can't raise my eyebrows. Or. The other eyebrow. Previously mentioned eyebrow is still up there, acting superior to the other one.

At least I got the headwrap off, even though the stitches are bright blue and my hairline is now caked with vaseline. People make a wide berth around me when I walk down the street. Quite possibly they think that I haven't showered in days and don't want to have to risk offending their noses. I just walk past them, one eyebrow raised in question.

Jealousy. That's what that strange new thing you are feeling is called. You wish you could be so cool. Don't worry. I've resigned to wearing headbands or a hat and sunglasses to diminish the attention I've received. It's all a small price to pay for catching something before it became a real problem. Go get yourself checked, it really isn't that bad.

7 comments:

Tara said...

I'm having very strong visuals and its giving me the giggles! Good job getting your moles checked out. Glad you caught that one in time.

Vicky M. said...

Glad you had your moles checked out.. I had a few removed myself. one even on my face but, thank goodness, no scars... Good call on that one.. WHEW!!

Jan said...

PHOTOS please!!
I want to see you w/ one eyebrow cocked.

This was kinda how having bells palsy was/is. Except it didn't go away (still hasn't, although it has diminished greatly after 10 years. And, it was one whole side of my face. Like, liquids rolling out of the corner of my mouth. So actually, I have no sympathy (haha) but appreciate your humor in it. Oh, and do you notice, little kids dare to stare? Anyone older that 7 doesn't, 'cause they can't get away with it, but I catch the younger ones staring at my face quite often. I do not find it offensive. I like to think they are paying attention to detail.

And cancer free! THat is good.

Anonymous said...

Sorry but I got the giggles too. A picture of it would have been great. Also, thanks for the advice...remember to bring a hair piece to pull it up so it looks like a look that I am trying for.

Glad you had it checked out.

Kristy

MindiJo said...

Shoot. Just lost my comments. So if it pops up later, that is why I am double posting.

Jan- Thank you, because I don't need sympathy. Nothing bad happened to me. :) Kids do stare. It's part of their honesty. They are just curious. Adults sometimes want to, but are too polite to.

Kristy- I was going for giggles, so good deal!

ethiopifinn said...

minDIZZLE. too funny. so funny, in fact, i wish i could stare at you myself.

Holly said...

I like your sense of humor on a subject that could be serious! Loving the positive 'tude!! I look forward to reading your blog, they make me laugh, cry and think!! I want to see pictures too... at least you can raise one eyebrow, because I cant. I have tried THOUSANDS of times! I even ask kevs is one of my eyebrows raised.. he always tells no.. so yes I am jealous!