Friday, October 29, 2010

a right and a left make a wrong

Who was the brainiac that decided they were going to revolutionize the left hand turn here in Michigan? Obviously someone that was not born here, as we all know that people born in MI are smarter than that. And, no, I am not saying that just because I was born a yooper. You are so jaded. Sheesh.

But, about the left hand turn. It wasn't until I came here, that I realized just taking a left hand turn when you need to go left makes the least amount of sense. Apparently. It makes way more sense to take a right, drive a 1/4 mile out of your way, make a left/u-turn (aren't they usually discouraged and/or illegal?) and then drive back that 1/4 mile and keep on going. I mean, who wouldn't want to make all those extra turns and drive an extra 1/2 mile? Duh. So obvious.

I just want to know how that train of thought started. Really. Was it like: "You know, I find taking a normal left hand turn at a stoplight to be highly boring. We should jazz it up a bit. What could I do..." Or, "Ugh. I'm way too important to wait for the left hand turn arrow to turn green. I would feel way better if I was at least moving. I will add an extra loop in my drive, just so to keep me and my important self in motion. It's probably quicker, too." OR. "You know, I really want to make a name for myself. I'm going to change the way people think about left hand turns. What could I do to make the greatest impact?" And it's probably the same person that decided to not put the street names in the intersections at stoplights in H****l. They clearly belong 100 yards before the intersection.

I, mean, really? It's no wonder we pay so many taxes. Because, honestly, just adding that left arrow probably doesn't add that much of an expense vs the MI left. Am I missing something here?

Apparently somewhere else in this great country, a village is missing their idiot. I'm just sayin'.

11 comments:

Julie said...

Heehee. I don't know what it is about driver's from the L.P., but Andrew had a lot of umm... 'practices' that he engaged in when he first moved to MN that aren't exactly legal here. Such as, a person can turn left on a red light or a red left turn arrow. Or something really bizarre like that! We would have arguments all the time and he'd swear he learned it in driver's school. The village idiot must have taught his driver's ed.

~ Junkyard Jennifer said...

Are you talking about those dumb turn-abouts in Br*%%#(n? Those things drive me nuts when I go back home. I seriously would love to know who thought they were a 'great' idea! I couldn't agree more -- they make absolutely no sense.

~ Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Never heard of this before....send the idiot on his way- far in the other direction!

Jan said...

ah, you took me up on my suggestion. Weird, never heard of such turns- so does this mean you just can't turn left at a light?

Anonymous said...

I am thinking....just make 3 right.....cuz that makes a.....?!?!?! wait was it four rights.....no wait......get a piece of paper.....ok her we go! LOL I have not laughed so hard in A LONG TIME! MISS YOU!!!

Amy S. (as if you wouldn't know!) LOL

MindiJo said...

Julie- Teehee. Love the drivers ed comment.
JJ- No, the left hand turns on the main road near me. Gah.
Jan- :) And, yes, that is what it means. Ridiculous.
Amy- LOL. I totally thought about that and laughed when I was writing this. That's why I named this post what I did. That was fun. I miss you bunches.

Sue said...

You can take left turns, your way, all the way to my house. You might run into a stray horse or two and maybe then you'd have to make a right around them to turn left but on a good day, lefts are legal ;)

Kristy M said...

Jen, she is talking about the left hand turn off of Halsted, onto 12mile (I think those are the road names) if you take a "normal" left out of the church parking lot.

MindiJo said...

Kristy- Yeah, perfect example. Gah.
Sue- Noted. So, you are saying: it would be the same for you when you come to my house?!

Sue said...

same...though I might go past, hit Target and then come back your way. then I'd have to add a few right turns.

~ Junkyard Jennifer said...

I think those are ridiculous, too! Crazy roads in that state. ;)

~ Jennifer