Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Irene, avocados and resolutions.

Let me tell you about my friend Irene.

She was the very first friend that I made in New Mexico. I am so very thankful that our paths ran side by side for a little while. Our husbands worked together in NM. She helped me to ease into life in NM, the unpredictability of our husbands jobs and the new life we had chosen. One week after our vehicle pulled into NM, she was introducing me to her friends. There are few people to whom I feel as though I owe as much to, as her. She, btw, is my friend from my favorite friend moment. Had it not been for her, I imagine that my life in NM would have been immensely different. Lonelier.

One of the most important things I learned from her was the beauty of an avocado. To know Irene is to know that she thinks she is a horrendous cook. She claims she once burnt mac & cheese. It's not like I don't believe that- I once burnt hard boiled eggs. (Put them boiling and left them until all the water evaporated, plus another couple minutes. Oops.) It's just that she was born and raised in Mexico. And, apparently, their food needs to be tended to and needs to to cook slooooooowwwwwwly to be "real food". I'm sure it's amazing. But the amount of time it takes to makes something doesn't equate to how good it tastes, necessarily. If in doubt, refer back to my boiled eggs story.

So, long story short: lies. She knows her way around a kitchen. I don't have to know what kind of legal shortcuts she took to make whatever it is she is serving. Truth is, I probably know. Because she always invited you over well before the meal was served. Being the fabulous hostess she was, she'd have some kind of food to munch on as you chatted and watched her (slowly) prepare your food. I really think she has a complex about time and food prep. (Am I right, Amy and Aimee?) Anywho. She introduced me to some of my favorite foods to date: pinto beans. Tostadas. And AVOCADOS.

Yum. So simple, but amazing. She made me a cheese quesadilla from this delicious and perfectly melty mexican cheese that I have only found at one store in my life. It's a white cheese. Asadero. But, not the asadero that other stores sell. This stuff was in a class of it's own. As the quesadillas cooked, she cut an avocado in half, removed the pit, and slowly mashed the avocado in it's skin. And then she smeared the quesadilla with the avocado. And told me to sprinkle it with salt. That's it. Three ingredients, with salt to season. And it rocked my freakin' world. It was so simple, but it let the avocado shine. My life has not been the same since.

Why all of this? Well, I made that for myself for lunch today, so it's on my mind. You need to try it. It's okay if you can't find the same cheese, you want the avocado to take center stage. It's a must try. And avocados are so good for you, to boot. So it's a win, win.

I've been looking around and I realized that my News Years post was a little generic. And so are my resolutions. I am going to compile more and put them up on my wall so that I can see and remember them all year.

And introducing this family to foods (mostly produce) that I don't normally put on the table is going to be one of them. Yesterday we tried Starfruit. Interesting. What do you suggest and how do you eat it?



11 comments:

Gram said...

I sure do enjoy you! As for avocados. Nuh uh. I tried to get healthy once and bought one. The mushy texture gave me the willies. And Bill doesn't cotton to healthy eating. But NOW, you tempt me to try again. I would probly double the cheese to put IT center stage, then slowly acquire a love for avocados. worth a try.

Julie said...

Love the slow cooking. Made me smile. :)

And hurrah! So glad to find another lover of avocados. I usually have a few ripening on my counter and nothing makes me happier than when I go to test one and find... it's perfectly ripe. It sort of adds an element of romance and intrigue, you know- waiting for the perfect avocado. And it's worth the wait. I cheer and change a meal plan around that little green fruitable.

I'm *really* glad you posted this because I almost did a whole blog post on avocado's once, except now I just get to talk to you about it which in my opinion, is much more fabulous. Oh. And it's worth adding that avocado's turned me on to fresh lemons. (Avocado+fresh squeezed lemon+kosher salt=yumness). Now I'm never without lemons, either.

Signed,
The-sleepdeprivedgirl-who-apparently-could-ramble-about-avocados-for-an-hour

XOXO

Elizabeth Halt said...

My friend fed me lunch before Christmas. She mashed an avocado with a can of salmon and added lemon juice and sea salt to taste. I have two cans of salmon in the cupboard and keep buying avocados with the intent to make this for myself, but then I am distracted by chips + avocado. ;)

I like figs (on their own or drizzled with honey) or (oh darn, now I am totally forgetting the name of them) - they sort of look like tomatoes but they're fruit and they're around this time of year. I feel like they have a ph sound in the name? Great. Now this is going to bug me all night.

Julie said...

P.S. What is a tostada and how do you eat it?

MindiJo said...

Gram- Un.be.liev.able. How can you not like avocados? I guess I'll still talk to you, since you are interesting.

Julie- We should get together face to face and eat avocados and chat about them.

Elizabeth- Yes, what is that fruit? You have piqued my curiosity!

Julie-YES! You came back. A tostada is a whole 'nother blog post. It is basically a corn tortilla deep fried, I do believe. About that size, anyway. FABULOUSITY. But probably not healthy. :D

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm, avocados! I went to southern Cali in late October (missed the halloween party this year). My cousin adopted a precious baby girl and I went out for the adoption party. Anyway... I ate avocados at just about every meal -- there's just something about SoCal avocados -- I believe that's what will be served in Heaven! ;o)

Ami

Anonymous said...

Yes Irene is a great cook. This post sums her up well. Mmmm, avocados are good. I also love green verde salsa. I think living in NM prob got me started on that. Yum. Taco Bell even has it now and it's gooood.
Aimee

MindiJo said...

Aimee- Thanks for the tip. Never tried it. I'll have to.

Yvonne said...

could it be persimmon?
Santa one year put a different fruit in each of our stockings, there were six of us. so we tasted a variety.
star fruit's texture reminds me of a grape. plus they look pretty sliced on top of a fruit salad.
um...
what about jicama? webster says its "an edible starchy tuberous root."
it's real crunchy. a nice addition to a salad or cut into sticks and dipped.
i forget what ugly fruit tastes like.
um...
kumquats? small things that look like oblong oranges. kind of bitter. we ate them whole with the peels but i don't think you're suppose to do that. lol
um...
peeps? oh. wait. um...

Anonymous said...

Love avocados!! In salad.alone.with chips.in salsa.guac.ANYTHING:)

Kristy

MindiJo said...

Yvonne- great suggestions! Jicama is good. But I'm not sure my kids have had it. I'll try all of your ideas.

Kristy- I knew there was a reason we are friends! ;)