Saturday, December 31, 2011

Goodbye, 2011.

This year's finale is a quiet one. *Perfect*

If I had to sum 2011 up in one word, it would have to be: over. Kidding. I'd have to say it was weird. Yeah, that is the best I can do. It sort of made me feel like, oh my goodness! I'm a grown up now. I deal with big people stuff. I make decisions based off what is best for me and these other people that share my home and heart. And I'm responsible for creating their good memories, protecting them and opening their eyes to the world around them. Which sometimes (unfortunately) goes hand in hand. When did all this happen? Obviously, I've always kind of known this all along, but I was really tested a lot this year. And my Mama Bear instinct is intact.

We've dealt with some big stuff, but came out with all of our fingers and toes. And for that, I am thankful. Along with it, we have had some really great highlights: Logan coming out of surgery without a spica cast (BEST EVER MOMENT OF 2011), Washington DC & Delaware (kids first time to see the ocean), our St. John's trip where we stayed in a cabin on Lake Superior (HEAVENLY), completing my 50 mile bike ride, and the list goes on. We've grown stronger friendships, met more people, grown more comfortable in our new area, experienced a lot of good things to even out the struggles. And quite honestly, 2011 was vastly easier than 2010. If we keep this pattern up, 2012 show pass by with hardly any hiccups. Ha!

I know a lot of people aren't fans of New Year's resolutions. I AM. Why not try to change for the better? My biggest struggle is remembering what mine were. So I'll write mine down for the sake of remembering. I'm not sure if I'd consider my last year's resolutions a success or not.

This year, I am going to:

1. Give running a good shot. I have some personal goals that for now will stay that way- personal. But it's specific and I will know if I met it or not. (certain mileage and speed)

2. Enjoy my kids more. This means more time out of my day to spend with them in some way: on the floor playing, Uno, playground, beach, outside, etc. I really need to do this. We were just checking out some old videos and my kids have *sob* grown too much, too fast. I feel like I haven't soaked it all in. It's hard to remember when you are going from day to day. The days are long, but the years are fast.

3. Be more Urho-like. BWAHAHAHAHAHA. If you get it, you get it.

4. I actually have more, but I don't (gasp!) share everything with you.

I hope that your year was fabulous, but this next one is even better. And if it's not, I hope that God will bless you with the knowledge, resources and people you need to get through it as unscathed as possible.

SO HERE'S TO TWENTY-TWELVE!!



4 comments:

ethiopifinn said...

happy new year, sweet friend! (and i love the new background!!!)

Anonymous said...

Happy 2012, Dear Friend. Love you mucho gusto!

Ami

MindiJo said...

E- Thanks!

Ami- (BIG HUG) I love YOU mucho gusto!

Julie said...

Kids grow way too fast! I shared your sniffles a couple days ago when going through our videos. Best of luck on your resolutions. :)