Three months ago, when I made the appointment, I didn't think I'd have winter weather to contend with. Not even last night did I really believe it. This morning I hesitated to go once I started driving, but I'm glad I did. Had I not gone, I wouldn't have had the touching reminder I had today. In Taco He... er, ah... Bell. Of all places. In my defense, I went there because my kids were perfect at the eye doc and it was worth a celebration. I know, hard to believe. I even had Kaija with me. So Bizzizzy picked the place, she has been begging to go for months. It was painful to drive past Potbelly's and turn into Taco Bell. Seriously. I have a scar to prove it.
From a booth behind Izzy, a lady stood up and straightened out her outfit. Izzy twisted around and noticed her. "Oh, mom! That lady is so cute and pretty. Isn't she cute and pretty? She's just so cute and pretty."
That isn't exactly what I saw. I saw an older, well-to-do woman who was probably snotty. The cute and pretty lady made her way to the bathroom. On her way back, she looked over at our table and smiled. And I decided she must know.
"Um, ma'am?" When she looked me square in the eye, I told her, "My daughter thinks you are absolutely cute and pretty. She keeps repeating it."
And she told me. She told me how that made her day more than I could ever know. How she was recently diagnosed with Cancer, stage four. And how she is in treatment now. How she feels anything but cute and pretty. But that "cute and pretty" comment meant the world to her. After her story, she said to Izzy "God bless you, you cute and pretty little girl. And your mom and sister."
And in that short while, I was proven so wrong. She wasn't just cute and pretty, she was downright beautiful. How quick I was to form an opinion about someone that I had never even talked to. Yet, my little 4 year old could see her beauty. It took everything in me not to cry right then and there. For the cute and pretty lady and the hand she was dealt. You just never really know a person's story just by looking at them. Maybe what I had seen was not snottiness, but sadness.
Turns out, I was the snotty one. It just took a cute and pretty lady and girl to remind me not to judge a book by its cover.
Bits and pieces.
27 comments:
Awww...this made me cry. I have a policy where if I see someone in a store and I think, "Wow, I love her hair," I TELL her. Because life is hard (as you've just illustrated so wonderfully) and we NEED those moments.
What a wonderful little girl you have, Mindi. I wish we all had her eyes. She made my day, too.
XO
Tears in my eyes.
Just add that to the list of reasons why I LOVE IZZY.
They *do* see much more than we do. What a wonderful story to share!!
I had to come over and see what the Taco Bell story was. You got me all teary now. I would like Izzy's eyes.
kids. gotta love them and the lessons they teach. Jess
what a prexcious little one! we definitely learn from our kids dont we? if only we as parents could see through their eyes..:)
.vicky.
What a beautiful story and wonderful lesson for all of us. Thank you for sharing this. Auntie Christine
LOVE this!
I am so glad you told her what Izzy said- what a story- and so glad you told it. I'm smiling and sad at the same time.
Love this! Just think how much your little lady made her day.
LOVE! So true! Who doesn't love to hear they are pretty!
Kristy
Wow what a cute story! has me crying right now. I am one of those snotty people who judge right away and just assume. This story is a good reminder for me. Thanks :)
Good reminder to us all and it definitely brought some tears to the eyes. Can't wait to hug Iz.
What a beautiful story!!! Thanks for sharing!! Laura
Astounding.-Paula
That is so sweet!
Lynn
I have tears in my eyes. Wow... totally speechless. (Such a great reminder for all of us.)
~ Jennifer
BEAUTiful. and real. and precious. what we don't learn from our kids! thanks for sharing. humble tears over this sweet story. ~Amy Isaacson
Soooooo darn cute. I love that story! It brought tears to my eyes. (as I am sitting at my desk at work).
"and the children shall lead us..."
we should all see the world through children's eyes. wonderful story, you should share this with the Chicken Soup for the Soul people...just as you wrote it.
Awesome story, thanks for sharing!
Wow! What a beautiful lesson from a child. :) Thanks for a good cry.
This made my day! Thanks for sharing. What a sweetheart of a girl you have.
Tears in my eyes too! What a sweetheart! Thankfully those busy, trying ones can really warm the heart! And make someone elses day! Love that Leanne also makes a point to tell someone what she may like about them!
What a great reminder! Thanks for sharing!
I am sitting here with tears streaming down my face. I am truely touched, when you think life is hard, or you cant find the strength to smile, or you just complain about something small, somebody has something bigger going on hey? Makes my problems minor. Your kids are amazing, and a true reflection of there parents.
Right out of chicken soup for the soul!
Post a Comment