I realized this when we turned onto our road after the long road trip from MN. I thought to myself "Whaddya know! I feel like we actually live here. Like it's familiar. I'm breaking this shoe in." It may not be the familiar that I experience when we pull in to the Twin Cities and a part of me is begging to get out and hug the ground, allowing the feeling to seep into my pores. Like I'm finally home! But, familiar like I am edging closer to my own fridge, my own shower, more than a suitcase of clothes, my own space. I'm finally to my house home. Some day I want to have a home home. More importantly, I want my kids to know a home home.
Perhaps it's the fact that I've developed the circles that I've come to realize I need in my life: a circle of close friends, a family circle, that medley of friends that provide the various things I need in my life, the women whose husbands work in the same field as mine and therefore understand any struggles and sacrifices, a work circle, church circle, my blogging circle, all those really important circles. I need them. And even without one, life isn't as full as it could be.
I'll be honest, I've struggled with settling in here. It's been a wild ride. Sometimes I've liked it, sometimes I've hated it. I've tried not to talk about it too much on here, because I realize I could offend and I didn't want to do that. Because it's not about the who. Well, in a way it is. If my family was here, I'd be happy to make this home. Still, it's not about those of you who are not my family. It was more of a "if this isn't going to be a beautiful, adventurous (as in mountains and other exotic-to-me sights) place to live, than I might as well live by my family" type of thing. In all honesty, I just needed to get over it. There is no perfect place. And this is where I was placed and I should be thankful for what I do have. Which includes a job that I love. And if I really think back, New Mexico really became home when I got a job. Next time (if there is a next) I move, I'll be wiser and find myself a job. Something for me, as soon as I feel like I've done all that I can to help my kiddos settle.
I gotta be honest: upper and lower may as well be two different states considering how different they are. Regardless of the upper/lower thing, I'm back in the state that I was born in. I've gone full circle. And my circle is full. It's a good life.
10 comments:
you know, i love that you are breathing with this.
i live in a home of my own with my family near, and sometimes, i still crave more. more anonymity, more beauty, more adventure, more yard... but it does pass and i snuggle in to this little house with my sweet little crew and soak it in. life is good.
i know exactly what you mean! it took me a g.o.o.d. 2 years anyway to feel like my house and neighborhood was my HOME.
especially Sundays.
Sundays were always family time days and i really felt like i was living someone elses life.
But now this is HOME. and i try not to take anything for granted. i have learned that, in a blink of an eye, our life can change. so i no longer look too far ahead.
I think anyone who has ever relocated from somewhere they love can relate to this. I know I've felt these feelings from time to time. Thanks for the post and glad that Michigan is... if not home home yet, at least beginning to feel familiar!
I love the full circle thing. So true. I'm glad its feeling more home-y for you. :)
MUAH! To all of you. I'm feeling really kissy today, apparently.
I know how you feel..! When we were out west I didn't feel like it was home, Now that we moved up here it feels a little more like home. Even though I might not stay here. When I go back to the parents, I feel a warm sense of comfort, even driving through town. Although its a little confusing to me, because I don't want to live there, JUST VISIT.. but I'm not sure where I want to live, Sometimes that makes me feel lost..
Glad to hear that things are starting to fit for you. I have never had to experience what you have/are but I would like to:)
Kristy
I have been up here for 12 years this month (?!?WHAT?!?!) and there is still nothing like going "home". Maybe it's my Mom and Dad. Maybe it's the other relatives and friends, but the closer to Cowtown, the giddier I get. This is home to my kids and where they will most likely come home to if they leave, but I love the feeling of going back to my home. And at times I ache and let myself dream about raising my kids there, but I always come back to the here and now and am thankful for all the good things that we have here. But I think if we had to relocate there, I would be thrilled, but who knows really? I like your cirle theory....maybe you should come ALL the way full cirle?!? You'd be my neighbor again, only up here;)
OOPS....I was anon. Amy I :) heh. sorry
Holly- I GET IT. Completely. I understand that lost feeling. I've gone through that.
Post a Comment