Thursday, February 9, 2012

UUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!

I really need to know the secret of making bread. Let me in on it, please.
If you read my first bread post, sorry for my bread-failure rant. I've cooled it a bit. And not by throwing my pan at the window and breaking it. Although, it did cross my mind. In a nutshell, I really have trouble getting the yeast to activate. When I actually can conquer that part, I often times can't get it to rise a second time. A-nnoy-ing. It's my goal to make a fabulous loaf of bread. Or, as I tried today, a fabulous batch of buns. (The bread variety, thankyouverymuch.) I even bought my yeast in bulk this time with that goal in mind. There is a chance that I came thisclose to throwing it out today. We both know that I don't actually want to do that. I just need to know the secret or have somebody teach me who knows a thing or two about it. Anybody...?

15 comments:

ethiopifinn said...

check the temperature of your liquid. it should be about 110-120 degrees. Also, if you can't get a second rise, your yeast may be exhausted from the first go-round. I almost always have to put my dough on the stove with the oven at 250. 45-60 minutes. then punch her down and knead again, but not for as long as the first time. 30-45 more minutes and into the oven. yes, go ahead and put that bun in the oven. kidding.

oh, are you making it in a breadmachine? i have no clue how those things work. i just mix it in my kitchen aid, and then knead it til it's nice and soft. man, i love baking bread. !

ethiopifinn said...

your yeast can get exhausted from working too hard, liquid too hot or on the rise too long. in my experience, of course.

MindiJo said...

Nope, no bread machine. The handy dandy kitchen aid.
Thanks for the tips, friend. I'll stop by your house for a lesson next time I'm in MN. *insert cheesy grin* And sample of it, too. Of course.

Brita said...

Do you let it rise in a warm spot? I put mine rising on the warm oven. Some people put it in a metal bowl right in the oven on warm.

Michelle F said...

Hey, you still have a blog...I should read it more often, you're funny:)
I must have been meant to read it today because I am the MASTER at making really flat bread that is not supposed to flat! (just ask Chad, he's always asking me if I am using old yeast..little does he know it is just me:)
This is no joke, I have probably made over 30 loaves trying to get the stupid yeast to rise twice to no avail. I can make white bread no problem, but I really wanted to make 100% whole wheat and could never seem to do it.
However, I finally have had success two weeks in a row!! I found out that whole wheat flour is denser/heavier than typical flours...but if you use white whole wheat flour it is lighter and allows it to rise but is still whole wheat. Also, I add flax seed, sunflower seeds, oats, quinoa and millet (which I always thought might be weighing it down, but I really want them in my bread) and it rises just fine! The second rise doesn't take nearly as long either (never realized this until last week).
The temperature of the water is crucial, I do have hot water and half cold and it seems to work out fine... and I always add vital wheat gluten which is supposed to help with rising.
Good luck:)

Julie said...

I want fabulous buns on my behind.

Here's an easy tip to make sure your yeast is active. The jar stuff is best but whatever you're using, make sure it's not expired and still active. Keep it in your freezer. When you add the yeast to the water (it should be warmer than your body temperature but not hot), add a little sugar or honey. Let it all dissolve (you can mix it a little) and put a towel over it and walk away. Just walk away, lady. Check back in ten minutes to see if your brew is bubbling. If so, you're on the right track. If not, you may have already killed the poor sucker so save yourself a couple hours and start again. You're only out ten minutes and a little bit of yeast and sugar. I sometimes take it a bit further and add all my sugar and a cup of flour to the yeast/water mixture. I let it sit for 20 minutes or so to let it really activate so it's quite bubbly when I get back. Then, I finish the recipe and it seems to rise quicker and rarely fails- as long as I don't add too much flour. *Sigh. That's where I have problems.

Cami said...

definitly make sure you're yeast is active (some recipes call it proofing). I also add warm water and the sugar in the recipe with the yeast, mix really well and then let sit for 10-15 minutes to "proof"...it gets foamy on the top. The continue on with the recipe. I know that some recipes are written down wrong, if I try a recipe twice and it doesn't work...some of the ingredients are not the correct amounts. :) Not sure if it matters but I store my yeast in the fridge...just make sure it's in a cool place.

MindiJo said...

MUAH!!!!! To all of you. Thanks for the help.

Yvonne said...

active yeast? exhausted yeast? foamy yeast? old yeast?
um, yeah... forget it!
A BREAD MACHINE is THEE answer. Unless of course, you have a husband that has the knack for yeast.
Get the bread machine!!

Anne H said...

My guess is you're killing the yeast with too hot liquids. The very first time I made nisu is branded in my mind. I was living in an apartment, 18 years old, and thought I'd make some caramel rolls for me and my roommates. They never did rise and I had to throw out the dough. After a phone call to my Mom, I realized the culprit was too hot milk. I still remember the disappointment after dreaming about eating them. (And as many as I wanted since I was the baker, not my Mom!)I do buy my yeast in bulk and store it in the freezer. I try to remember to take it out and get it too room temp. before I start the bread to speed the raising process. But some breads do take longer than the recipe states to raise. Especially, sweet breads like nisu. Good luck. Don't give up. You can't beat homemade bread.

Gram said...

Here's a tip I once got from a queen-of-bread making......Syv L. Start your yeast in not too warm liquid. Add PART of your flour to the cooling milk (a few cups) with the yeast...let that activate for awhile before adding the rest of the flour. I have no idea what the reason was, but I always use this method. LIke I said, she was the one to ask. I try to have the yeast liquid and cooling milk temperatures match before mixing them together. Does that make sense?

Anonymous said...

Proof the yeast in warm water (I use the hottest water from my tap) add a tsp of sugar. I add the wet ingredients then the dry, you also need to knead the bread for 7-10 min (in a mixer) for the gluten to develope (this make the yeast work). I have never had much luck using my kitchen aid. Another trick for raising is to put it in the oven with a bowl/pot of boiled water. It helps to have warmth and humidity!!

Kristy M

MindiJo said...

Oooh. I better be able to get a fabulous loaf of bread this week. That's all I'm saying. Or I'm going to join Yvonne in the store-bought only thing. Or, stay there, as I have been there for years.

Anonymous said...

You are getting me motivated to make homemade bread and become more green! Now...where to start.

Kristy

Annika said...

I'm glad you posted about Yeast.. I have a fear of it, and I can never seem to over come it! The first time I made Nisu, it was seriously as hard and as dense as a huge garden boulder.
GOod luck! and I think from all the advice on here..I will have to keep trying!