Thursday, April 11, 2013

The gift of flying

These people (my neighbors) are like State Farm.  Get it?  State Farm? Good neighbor?  Oh, whatever.  I know I'm a geek.  You can pretend like I'm hilarious for once.

 For real, though. Those people up there, pictured with my kids?  The best thing about Virginia.  Hands down.  Well, 'cept for the girl in the middle with the striped shirt.  We don't know her.  She just joined us on the swing.  No biggie.  We hit it off with these neighbors.  Seriously.  I feel like I've known Lisa for years. She knows more about me than most (new) people will eek out of me in a few years.  I'm so thankful that we seized this opportunity, because I think I've made a lifelong friend with her.  We're very similar.  Although, I think she is my personality on speed.  So, I totally understand her.  And we married the same man.  Basically.  And she doesn't judge me for the number of kids I have.  Ever.  She gets it.  She came from a big family and is surrounded (relative-ly speaking) by big families.  It's an easy friendship.



That's not even what I was going to tell you about.  Sheesh.  I was going to tell you about this park and how it warmed my heart up, the way a cup of soup warms you from the inside out.  This guy donated money to build a park that all children could enjoy.  Children of all needs and abilities.   Remember the feeling of being a child, swinging on a swing?  Complete freedom.  Like you are flying.  And you are so sure that you will touch the sky.  Something so simple, yet so magical.  And a tickle belly?  Oooh, when you can get a tickle belly... I'm madly in love with swings.  Even to this day.  Anyway, my point is: they have swings here that every child can enjoy.  Even those that are wheelchair bound.  The whole chair attaches.  Isn't that amazing?  Imagine what a blessing for that child to be able to feel that for the first time in their life! And to be the parent and watch that?  It's something that most of us take for granted.  I was able to see a child in a wheelchair, swinging.  The sheer joy on her face was a sight so beautiful, I could never explain it in words.

What an amazing man to think of such a park.  I hope that all of us could have a little of that inside of us.


4 comments:

Jan said...

Awesome! I love to swing, always have- it is like flying. And I hope to have a few good ideas like that in my life.

Tina A. said...

That is so awesome.

Julie said...

Really touching, Dizz! All of it. How wonderful that someone made the park for all to enjoy. And that God's providing not just friends out there, but amazing ones. So glad for you, my friend.

Anonymous said...

What an amazing man and park.

Also, a bit jealous of the shorts.

Kristy