Thursday, March 31, 2011

Tripod

If you put two talkative people together in a car for the span of twelve hours, twice in a matter of days, will they run out of conversation? No. Will they miss a toll booth while talking bargains? Yes. Will they pay $10 instead of the $.80 toll? Yes. Is $10 vs. $.80 a bargain? No. But splitting gas money is. What's better than a bargain? Twenty four hours of good conversation. With a relaxing weekend squished in between those two drives.

I took Tripod (as my brother calls Logan with his crutches) for his 6 week follow up. It is about as we expected, thankfully. The bone is growing back where they cut into it. So they gave him the green light to start walking with his crutches (quadpod) and in a week he can ditch one. And once he can walk without a limp, he can become a bipod again. Kids can make a habit out of limping, so he needs at least one crutch for a while. He'll be in therapy twice a week for about a month and then it'll taper off from there. Hopefully he will be back to running around soon.

I actually was mistaken (surprise!) about what the surgery entailed. They did cut the bone and angle it back into the socket, but did not reshape the top of the femur. That will (hopefully) happen in the future on its own. From what I understand, they had anticipated that they would have to do it, but ultimately did not. And that is why the Spica did not make its appearance in our lives. They did, however, slow or even stop the growth on the Trochanteric Plate, if that means anything to you. It does? I thought it would. We'll be back for a checkup the week following my sisters wedding~ perfect timing!

Life is good. Now I need to go grocery shopping. Apparently Zane doesn't do that when I'm gone... That's a relief. He doesn't know a bargain when he sees one.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY! you are back for me to read!!! (insert **happy dance**)
I have missed you!

All good news!

huggas!

amy s

Sue said...

I mean seriously, why would people pay when they can ride in the lane without toll booths? Actually, that $10 fine was only $2, SCORE...saved $8!
And, I hear you on the grocery thing...Mother Hubbard's cupboards here.

Suz said...

Glad you made it back! :) (and all went well)

Katie said...

Good job Tripod's bones!! And tell Z that you can pay someone to deliver groceries right to your door. Who needs bargains when you make the big bucks?!

Anonymous said...

You are back! Great news on Logan!

$10 is cheaper than what it cost to fix a mailbox, right?

Kristy

MindiJo said...

Amy S- <3
Sue- I owe you $2~
Suz- Me, too!
Katie- I do pay someone to deliver groceries. It's called Amazon Mom's Club. I love it. And not because we are making the big bucks. Don't know what we'll do when that happens...
Kristy-Good point!

Anonymous said...

I finally got an I-Pass for going through the tolls when we go to MN or Green Bay. Michelle took it to Green Bay this weekend and technology is amazing. Not only could she fly through the tolls, it only cost $2.45 total for the 5 tolls she flew through. I could look my account up online and see exactly what time she went through them. Hadn't realized it was cheaper with a pass. Michelle's Mom

Sue said...

the laughs over a missed toll were worth way more than $2-no way you're paying for it.

Sue said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katie said...

Okay, wish I would have read this before I talked to you earlier...I'm intrigued by this Amazon Mom's club. I use Amazon and never heard of it, though I don't use it for groceries, diapers and that sort of thing. But it would be a whole lot easier to have things delivered right to my door, especially with Jim's schedule. I checked diapers, and I still can buy them at the store cheaper than on Amazon, so I wonder if you save money or do it for the convenience?

Katie said...

And if I could buy some good, thick wipes that don't stink on there I would for sure be in!! I use Up and Up wipes because they are the cheapest I can find around here, but I hate how soft and flimsy they are! Walmarts are a thicker, but more expensive than Target's. I always hear Costco has awesome wipes, but I don't have either a membership or one that is conveniently located.

Sue said...

@Katie-you have to look under subscribe and save and the price drops on the diapers...about $12 a box for the huge boxes, plus Parents magazine puts coupons in their magazine about every other month for a certain percent (usually 20%) or an amount (last month I got $10) off so I usually pay only about $9-$14 in the end for a $35 box of Luvs.
btw, I'm Jim's cousin.

Leanne said...

This was so fun to read. You're hilarious,and a very good writer.

XO

Katie said...

Thanks Sue. I will definitely look into it. I haven't had good luck in the past with Luvs..which is why I use Up and Up diapers as well (not to mention I always have coupons and usually pay about $18-$19 for a box of 4's (124 count) and the same for a box of 5's (108 count). This is quite a bit cheaper than Luvs at either Walmart or Target, and I have really liked the Up and Up diapers. My sil Amanda used Up and Up and when Isabelle got into about 4's they didn't work good for her and she switched to Luvs. I tried Luvs once and didn't like them at all (Mara leaked thru all the time). I came to the conclusion that it all depends on the shape of the kids butt (mine have very plump wide butts) and Isabelle has a skinny little butt. But to save $5-$10 a box when I buy 4 boxes a month, I'd be willing to give Luvs a go again, especially if I don't even have to leave my house!

Katie said...

And I did know you were Jim's cousin...I think Jean has kept me pretty up on the family tree on her side:) I have yet to meet half of you all though..maybe at Brion's wedding this fall as Jim will be standing. Sorry Mindi for hijacking your comments!

MindiJo said...

Hijack away! Doesn't bother me. It might be that your kids need a bigger size diaper when you use Luvs. If you didn't like them- I'm not sure it would be worth it for you to do that. Sometimes I do find diapers cheaper in the store. Currently, I am not using Amazon for my kids diapers since I did get my diapers (Huggies) for cheaper than on Amazon. And I stocked up. Once I run low, I might get diapers through them again. I should send you my Target coupons that I sometimes get for their diapers... I don't use Up and Up. I'm somewhat of a diaper snob, because I feel like the cheaper ones are less absorbent and smaller. So I feel like I get my money out of using Huggies vs. cheaper ones. And I totally agree- it depends on the shape of your kids which diapers work. Remind me and I will pick up wipes for you from Costco before I come...

Katie said...

I tried Huggies too, and didn't like them as much as Up and Up, but I liked them better than Luvs. So I guess it's probably best to buy them at Hutch's Target, as they have the lowest prices of all the area Targets. And they are over $2 cheaper than thru Amazon. Don't bother with the wipes...I could have T pick them up for me if I really needed Costco wipes but it's easier just to use the Target wipes for now. (I am pretty curious about Costco's wipes though...are they really that great? Have you tried them?) And also, what do you buy thru Amazon Mom's club if you don't mind me asking?

Sue said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sue said...

Katie-the size 5 box I get has 158 in it...I do use a size larger than Target's which I used to use. If I was a diaper snob like Mindi I would buy Pampers;) love Pampers.

MindiJo said...

Katie- I like Costco wipes. No complaints about them. They aren't too wet or too dry. They are just soft enough. And they come in those handy dandy packages. I like that. And I rarely have to buy them. I'm not a wipes snob, so I guess it doesn't really matter to me.