Wednesday, March 2, 2011

What's up and thank you!


The transition from brace to up on crutches was slightly less than smooth. We were a little out of our element here. Not having had surgery myself nor dealing with this situation left me not fully understanding what to expect. But we made it. A couple trips to the physical therapist to help with learning the ins and outs of it all and we are a little more adjusted to the situation. The brave little guy is not only up on crutches, he can also bend his leg at a 90 degree angle, go to the bathroom alone and dress himself. HUGE. (Yes, Z and I got a date night!)

Other good news? Logan and I have spent hours playing his new games together. A lot of qt- something good that I hadn't expected to get out of the situation.

He will, however, be going back to school. Apparently, the homebound program will only be continued if the doc says that it is required that he stays home. This isn't going to happen, I know that without even asking. Because the doc explained how we deal with school. Once the accommodations are made, he'll be heading back. This brings on mixed emotions. Logan is bummed- what kid wouldn't want to stay home? And I am, too. It was a great way for us to have extra time together. And I'm scared that he might be teased at school. Yet. It is also like pulling teeth to get him to do his homework. And. There is a lot to be said for the social setting your child experiences in public school. I think they need that. (Not starting a debate about homeschooling here. Your choice is your choice. I respect that.) Let's just hope it goes smoothly, especially for the little guy.

A big thank you to anyone who helped us out in any way during this situation: support, encouragement, kind words, bits of advice, child care, gifts, borrowed crutches, etc. It helped us out more than you will ever know. Thank you.

8 comments:

Sue said...

Tell him he looks great sitting at the table and not in the wheelchair....so happy for him! As far as getting teased, he probably will get the opposite treatment. He will probably be the kid everyone wishes they were for the attention, especially when they don't know what he had to go through.
Have him call Bennett anytime if he is getting bored...he loved hanging out w/Logan. Maybe we could sneak out for coffee while they hang out :)

Anonymous said...

I hope the return to school is smooth. Great news on date night!!!

Kristy

Jan said...

I'm thinking Sue is right.

YeeHaw on the date night. I think you should find a good bluegrass concert to go to...: ) (I really like bluegrass)

Jan said...

...plus, it would fit the image you are trying to achieve...

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear everything went better than expected!! :) I agree with Sue too.. I bet all the kids will be fighting to help him!! :) I hope his transition goes well. Glad to hear you and Zane take care of yourselves too! Laura L.

Larissa said...

Did He learn to do the stairs yet?! When I was there he kept telling me that Monday he was going to learn to go upstairs:)

MindiJo said...

Riss- He did, but mostly just goes up and down on his butt for now. Easier.

Anonymous said...

Wow! You go Logan! I'm glad everything is working out so well. Good luck with school.