
Life is like a sand dune. Ever changing. The majority of the time, imperceptibly. A grain of sand at a time. Over time, those tiny grains of sand create a shift in the landscape. It isn't always discernible, unless you take a step back and really consider it. And compare it to how it once was. Other times, the wind comes in great gusts and the sands pelts our bodies like sharp little daggers as the whole scene changes before our eyes. And we endure it. If we don't, we'd be lost in the landscape forever. And if you look at the changed scenery, you will find that even though it may be unfamiliar, doesn't mean it isn't beautiful. Even though it doesn't look how you had planned, doesn't mean it isn't perfect for you.
I heard that quote- that last sentence I wrote- this past week and I'm really trying to wrap my head and my heart around it. My brain believes it to be true, but telling my heart that is a whole 'nother story. Lately, we've been reminiscing about the places we have been. And talking about the places we may go. You know that saying "You can never go back"? I never understood it until now. You can go back physically, sure. But you can never go back to that time. No matter what it was. The landscape has changed to much for it to ever be the same. You can go back and create a new life for yourself, but you will never recapture what you once had. Whether you want to or not. The changes may be gradual, but they still happened.
Consider this. We lived in NM up until a year and a half ago. Yet, it is still different. I have friends that have moved. A friend that lost a husband and since remarried. (not that it would change our friendship) Friends that have made other life changes. And a friend still figuring out where her life is taking her. ( I hope you find it.) And so I couldn't go back. But part of what made that time so special is because we knew it was temporary and we lived it to the fullest. If only we would do that everywhere we went.
So I need to do that. Live this life with that zest. See what there is to see, do what there is to do. And enjoy where my life has taken me.
6 comments:
it's so true.
i long for days spent abroad, and the memory is sweeter knowing i won't make those kinds of trips again. and it is better in my reminiscing than when i was living it :)
you know, the landscape, the sand in the dune, is different moment to moment, but all the grains are the same. they take turns being the buried supportive structure, and the vulnerable, wind propelled top sands.
AHHHHH! I love my friend E!!! That is absolutely perfect!!
And. It *is* better in your memory.
nostalgia softens the edges of our memories...
and with humbleness of heart we thank our all knowing Father for the constant, unchanging gift He has given.
Yvonne: :) Should have known you'd pull through with the perfect quote.
I've read this post three times now- so much great insight. I'm glad you shared it with us. :)
We all mourn change to some degree. And you bring up an interesting point: if a person could go back to before a big life change, would they? So much would be lost. A dear friend once told me that "we see the world not as it is, but as we are." Therefore, our perception of reality is always evolving as we ourselves evolve. Something I think about often.
Post a Comment