You know, it's funny. Sometimes you can hear something that would normally make your heart cry. But when you've been waiting for too long without an answer to a question, just hearing an answer- any answer- is good news. It's like getting a fresh pitcher of lemonade. Slightly sour lemonade, but lemonade nonetheless.
While in MN for our first holiday with family in four years, we made the trip to Gillette as we always do. Double duty. Kaija is still in her brace at night and will probably avoid surgery that way.
The real answers? This is the specialist we should be seeing, my instincts were right. Logan's hips have taken the worst turn they could. He needs to remain inactive for 3 months. That's right. A nine year old boy needs to sit still. No running, skating, sledding, ripstick, jumping, twisting, etc. No enjoying his first winter back in snow country. He can walk, bike, swim. Period. He also needs extensive PT. The combination will loosen up his hips to prepare for surgery to rebuild his bone and socket. He will then be in The Dreaded Spica Cast- think armpits to ankles- and a wheelchair for a month. And this isn't guaranteed to work. But if we don't jump at the chance- and immediately- this is the best and only opportunity we have to do the surgery. If his hips do not get loosened in time, he will be in traction for some time. Because he needs this surgery in the very near future. Sigh.
Anyways. I'm oddly at peace with this. I'll admit, I did wrap Logan in my arms and shed a few tears with him as we took in the news at Gillette. I realize I'll probably shed more in the future, but for now my eyes are dry and my heart feels prepared. Maybe it is because I feel so confident in the plan for now. With Dr. N's tips, we were able to alleviate his pain and hips locking up at night. That's why I trust that Dr. N is the specialist we need to see. For all of our hip issues. Shudda trusted my instincts.
We really did have an amazing Thanksgiving, despite it all. And I hope you did, too.
I'm so thankful for family, friends, and answers.
14 comments:
I heart you sweet friend......I heart you mama heart, I heart your courage, your strength, you weakness, you abilty to get knocked down and jump back up and say "screw you"! lol
And I heart and REALLY miss your precious family!!!!
I told Cory what was going on the other day and he got all teary eyed for Logan.....THAT was a first.
It is always wonderful to hear your vioce, even for a couple of minutes to harass you! ROFL!!
Mindi, Please know that you and your family are continually in my prayers. Much love, Ami
We were so bummed to miss you at Thanksgiving. One of these days we might be home when you come to visit. We had a great Thanksgiving with my family, Glenn hunted with my brothers for most of the weekend. :)
We were hoping for some good news with Logan, looks like it may be a long road to recovery. :( Your family will be in our prayers.
Ugh. My heart aches for that boy.
This is a huge reality check for everyone to be thankful for what they have.
I will be thinking of you guys. Keep us posted.
Sorry I didn't get to see you while you were here but I am sure you were busy.
Kristy
I cannot imagine. I'm glad you have some peace now, and hopefully the procedure will work. I'll be praying!
Oh Mindi!! Nothing hurts worse than when life is hard for our kids!! Hugs to you and Logan!! and hopefully this will work for you!! I admire you positive outlook!! Laura
Oh, man. What a rough scenario you're faced with. Many prayers for strength, courage, and perseverance for Logan, you and Zane. I'm hoping so hard for you that these measures will provide a good outcome. Keep us updated and hang in there. ((hugs))
Dang it, that really stinks.
(just quoting your previous post.)It is such a tricky thing to find the right Dr. Sigh.
What can you do but accept it? I wish you strength over the next months as you deal with this. Keep us posted so we can send you good vibes.
To find a silver lining in this cloud, you *may* get to have another game night with me sooner rather than later:) Glad you are so positive about it, my heart goes out to my ex every time I think of this. Even though as he informed me, he is booking to his cousins as soon as he gets back here so I can't come haul him over to my house. Man those ex's sure can hold a grudge...
Oh Mindi, thinking about you and Logan. Praying everything goes good. You are such a strong mom with so much to deal with. I love your postitive attitude. Bridget
sheesh.
((hugs))
Thanks for the love and support, everyone.
And, Katie, I don't know what you did to the little guy. But he denies that he ever claimed you as a girlfriend.
My heart goes out to that little guy. The world class athlete. Hopefully the surgery works for him and he gets better.
Haha, I was trying to figure out which ex Katie was talking about. Ladies man, he used to have a lot of girlfriends.
This post brings tears to my eyes. Thinking of each of you and sending prayers...and hope that you'll get the results you're wishing for.
~ Jennifer
Post a Comment