Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Why you should be kind.

Ohmygoodnessibawledlikeababywhenireadthis.
This story hit me in a place that most things don't. It makes you think.
I think it really hits home because there have been times in my life that
I really would have worn a sign. "My emotions are running high from just having a new baby".
"We have yet another hip problem to deal with". "I just lost my father in law".
Honestly. It would make life easier, in a way.
What's your sign? (You can sign in anonymously)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I almost posted two signs. It's hard, even here where no one knows me...

Anonymous said...

Here's my sign:

"I have anxiety. PLEASE don't rock my boat."

Anonymous said...

LOVE that story. Its a good one to keep and read from time to time.

MindiJo said...

Anon: It IS hard to say it. Yay for you! Yay for saying it, that is. Not yay for anxiety.

Brita said...

What a wonderful story! I linked it on my blog too.

Sue said...

wow, my allergies are really making my eyes watery...must be allergic to that page ;)

that story reminds me of one of my own.
Shortly after Tom died, I was at a garage sale with Derek, 7 months old. This old man stopped to chat with Derek, and then asked me whether or not Derek had any siblings. I told him no, he was my only child. He then lectured me up one side and down the other on why "no child should be an only child" and how awful and lonely a childhood that would be for a child.
With tears in my eyes, I waited until the man finished and then I told our story. The story of how Derek's Dad was called to war before he was born, and how he never met him before he had died, a month and a half before. I told him of how his Dad and I had both grown up in large families and would have loved to have the same. I told him of how heartbroken I was when I thought of my child growing up without a Dad or siblings.
My 'sign' was the tears flowing down my cheeks, and it read "don't judge me until you know my story"...he read it loud and clear.
He apologized over and over, and wished me well, vowing to never again assume anything about someone.
And I think God heard a little of what I said that day, for 20 years later, Derek has a Dad and a house full of siblings.
*signing off now, those allergies are really acting up now.

Anonymous said...

I've tried to think of ways to word different signs...but even anonymously, people would know who it was think.

MindiJo said...

((Sue)). Thank you for sharing.

Anon- It's okay. I understand.

Anonymous said...

That story is for sure one to read over and over again.

I can't believe what happened to your friend Sue. First of all what a sad story and thanks for sharing. It makes me so angry that someone feels it is okay to lecture a person on only having 1 child. How about it is none of their business. I hope he felt like a jerk.

Sorry for rambling:)

Kristy