Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Workout Wednesday #1

Years back, I lived on a diet consisting of mainly mountain dew and greasy food. And chased it down with a cigarette. Then when I started to have kids, I realized what a mistake that whole idea was. I had most likely shaved years off of my life before the thought of seeing my kids and grandkids growing up was even more than a passing thought. Yikes. It was for that reason, and the fact that both of my Grandpas had died of a heart attack, that I got my butt in gear. And here I am, years later and I still haven't stopped for longer than a six-week-after-baby-hiatus here and there. and there. and there.

I am forever trying to compensate for the abuse I put my body through in the past. And continue to. I still can't resist grease. It just isn't my go-to anymore. Sniff. And I kicked the tobaccy (it wasn't wacky) a long while ago.

Anywho. I'm actually not here to preach or pretend like I'm some sort of know it all. My apologies, if it sounds that way. I'm not going to list all the reasons why you should exercise. You already know. And, quite frankly, if you don't exercise- it's your loss. Not mine.

HOWEVER. I am going to try to show you why your excuses don't hold water. You don't have a good reason to not exercise, except that you plain old don't want to. That's all. FYI: Nobody actually wants to at first. It isn't until you have been doing it for a while and start to see results that you get hooked. And then you still have days that you don't want to.

*You could have time if you made it. That being said, I realize there are days really are too busy for exercise. Don't beat yourself up over it.
*Prego? Walk. You actually should. The more I exercised, the more it helped in labor and delivery. I did an hour long, high-impact cardio class just hours before giving birth to Kaija. I had her within a few hours of going into labor. And I only pushed twice, if I remember right.
*You can work around most injuries. I taught class with broken toe and a knee that bothered me. It can be done.
*Sick? or just had a baby? Please. I'm not a drill sargeant. Those are very valid excuses.
*And you don't need a gym. Most of the workouts that I am going to post can be done at home. I squeezed this one in today while Kaija napped. It's short and sweet, but perfect for when you are pressed for time and homebound- like I was today. Also, no equipment needed!

Workout #1:
30 jumping jacks
5 push-ups
25 high knees (Jog in place with knees up really high. I did a total of 25/leg.)
7 burpees
10 crunches
7 squats
5 push-ups
10 crunches
5 push-ups
7 squats
30 jumping jacks
1 minute wall sit (your break! yay!)
5 push-ups
25 high knees

Repeat at least twice, but as many times as you want!
*As with any workout, modify for injuries and make it harder/easier depending on what kind of shape you are in.

10 comments:

Carol said...

Thanks for the kick in the butt! What is a burpee?

MindiJo said...

A burpee is where you go from standing, bring your hands down to the floor, kick your legs back at the same time. You are now in push up position. Jump your feet back in towards your hands and jump up, putting your hands in the air. Start all over.

Carol said...

Oh my goodness! I'm getting tears of laughter trying to imagine myself doing that! I guess I'll just dig out my "Walk off the Pounds" CDs.

Anonymous said...

I did it. Twice! I can't remember the last time I did that many jumping jacks in one day. Jess

MindiJo said...

Jess- AWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOME!! I actually got somebody to try it? Yipeeee!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

This post was so true. I still like grease but dropped the moutain dew.

I have been working out for years. I dread it but it is after that I like it.

I HATE WALL SITS. Sorry I yelled:)

You moms rock! I have no clue how you find the energy.

Kristy

Anonymous said...

Well, I did it. Yesterday after going for a run with the kids and having my rear-end jiggle the whole time, I decided I really need to do something about this NOW! So I am buying a work out video tonight and I saw your post this morning and gave that a try. WOW! I really need to get my butt in gear and exercise more. Thanks for the extra push!
Emily

MindiJo said...

Yay! I'm like a little kid over here. All excited that people are trying the workout. Here I was worried I came off sounding like a doorknob. Or maybe I did to some people.

Anonymous said...

Doorknobs are really awesome things!

Anne said...

I cut and pasted your workout to save on my Word. I've been doing Jillians 30 day shred but may try your workout if I run out of time (or privacy) to do the DVD on any given day.