And that's how it goes. I find out that I'm going to have overnight guests and it's all systems go. Suddenly, it's imperative that the dust balls underneath my bed are gonzo. Because, duh! That's exactly where people look when they come over. Always.
I worry about the wrong things. I remember one time, a friend of mine came to visit and I tackled the apartment with gusto. I had everything spit polished. Or so I thought. She sat down and jokingly ran her finger across my candle holder. The tip of her finger resembled a furry little mouse. Duh. Dust the stuff you see, Mindi, don't waste your time organizing your pencil drawer.
Thankfully, I have relaxed since then. And, it's my family that is coming. They already know what kind of mess I am capable of. After all, they lived with me for a lot of my life. It still is, however, a very good excuse to clean the nooks and crannies that are overdue for TLC. So, if it isn't done by Friday, it isn't going to be done for a while. Had these visits not coincided with my kids going back to school, I would have been more lax. In the past month, I've been twitching over the deep cleaning this house so desperately needs. Kids home 'round the clock = more cleaning for me. And so the combo of the two put a very hot fire under my rumpus.
Disclaimer: Just because I blogged about this doesn't mean my house is going to be immaculate when you come. It will hopefully be cleaner than it was. And you will never know what kind of a yardstick "was" was, will you?
On another note, we made the hard decision (any decision that Zztop and I need to make together is hard. We wish and we wash.) that we will be unable to make it to MN for Christmas again this year. There's a lot that went into it. Part of it? We will be there for Logan's pins and plates removal later in the winter. So. For now, that's the dealio. You know how we operate. Wishywashy, squishysquashy.
Speaking of hard decisions, I *think* we have really figured out, in our heart of hearts, where we really want to be. I'm not announcing it here to jinx it. But I think we know. I feel really at peace about it and have not second guessed it since, which usually happens when I really do come to a decision. That being said, it is still mostly out of our control, so... Life can change.
For the record, I like it here at the moment. Zztop and I balance each other out on this. When I hate it here, he likes it. When he hates it, I like it. Right now, I'm the happy one. It might have to do with the change of the season. There isn't much I hate at the moment.
So, here's to making decisions that hopefully stick. Just not on my clean walls, thankyouverymuch.
2 comments:
i realized today why cleaning stresses me out so much. because i am not actually thinking about 'cleaning', i'm thinking about sorting and keeping and tossing and organizing and decluttering and rearranging. my husband can do a full on pick-up and vacuum and be done. i feel the need to find a home for each item i pick up. and rearrange that new or old home.
his way is so much quicker. and no one is looking under my bed, either.
trying to get my house in order for a move at sometime...it's stressful..but last night I got myself a trailer for junk and today I am pitching!!! :) Laura
NOthing like having something to clean for!! :) I bet they will rant and rave the whole time they are in town about your cleanliness! ;)
Post a Comment