I hope your Thanksgiving was a success. Mine was, well, memorable. That's really the only word that I can come up with to describe it. It wasn't good, wasn't bad. It was memorable. We had made plans to spend the night at the Marriott in The Renaissance Center in downtown Detroit. Then we were going to wake up and watch the Thanksgiving Day parade. It was a perfect opportunity to do our own thing with no family around to share the holiday with. But things don't always go as planned, do they?
That was painfully obvious when were awoken by fire alarms screaming at 1:45 am. Well, that's not the complete truth. I was still laying awake at that time. But everybody else's snores came to a screeching halt.
Long story short, there was an electrical fire on floor 51. They were experiencing problems all the way up to the 60th floor. Rumor has it. We were on floor 31. So we were safe all along, but I can tell you this much: You don't fall asleep and sleep peacefully after something like that, never mind the firetrucks outside and the foot traffic in the halls. So we packed it all up and headed home. They were not sad to see us go, as they really needed rooms for the guests who were stuck there. And we never did see that parade.
ZZtop, however, did see Lauren Alaina in the stairwell. She was complaining to him that she was supposed to be up in a matter of hours to sing the national anthem at the Lions game, which she flubbed. (Poor girl, she's only 16. I couldn't get the words right myself. Much less running on basically no sleep) Anyway. He didn't know who it was until he was reading the news online and saw a clip of her. (Not available anymore, sorry.) I couldn't believe he didn't recognize her. I guess when you are running up to the 31st floor, you probably don't look back at the person chattering away behind you.
So. We were back home by 4:30am. Missed the parade. But had a delicious Thanksgiving dinner at Cracker Barrel where my kids really did behave perfectly. Not even lying about that last part. Although, it is admittedly a little lonely when the extent of your Thanksgiving plans (that work out) are hitting up a local restaurant. Regardless, I was counting my blessings. (And I'm not complaining. We had invites.)
So. There it was. Thanksgiving 2011: Unforgettable. Here's to Christmas being a little less memorable. In a good way.
2 comments:
This is the stuff memories are made of!! I won't remember my Thanksgiving 2011 from the last 10 year or so. Turkey, cranberries, pie...etc. Not complaining here either:-)
So what were your plans for a turkey dinner had your original plans worked out?
I make my own words up...kinda like Christina Aguilera. I can't imagine being her age and having all that criticism. Poor girl. Z should have called up the news station and shared the story of the fire alarms.
I bet you will always remember this Thanksgiving.
Kristy
Post a Comment