Friday, April 9, 2010

Explanation:

According to my dictionary, an opinion is: 1. a view, judgement, or appraisal formed in the mind about a particular matter. 2. a belief stronger than impression and less strong than positive knowledge.

An opinion is not a fact. It is how you think and feel. Period.

I'm just tired of people preaching to "be nice" and then not doing the same. Yes, we should. No doubt. But it's a double standard. Why can't these same people preach that to the people who have the same opinion as them? I remember a particular political discussion on Facebook where a person who opposed my view was lashing out, saying the people who disagreed with him were "uneducated, uninformed, not compassionate...". The person who started this discussion sat by and did nothing. However. When someone with my shared beliefs said something along those lines, that person was called out on it. Double standard.

Can we please stop calling people names? And picking apart the most ridiculous things? Really? Just because we have a difference of opinion? Are we that petty? BE NICE. Everybody.

That's all I have to say about that. I think.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will admit that I have a hard time when someone just doesn't agree with me and see what I see but that is what is suppose to make life so great....if we were all alike and agreed on EVERYTHING what fun would that be? It always gets ugly with Politics. That is why I do not discuss with friends/co-workers/family and why I do not lean 100% towards either party because there are good, bad, same, etc. with both and to me it isn't honestly a certain party but the person representing the party.

Awesome post regarding practice what you preach. I see it here at work all the time. No whispering...no gossip....if a sensitive issue arises discuss with only the people involved yet does the enforcer follow this rule...nope...first to break it so why would your employees?

Kristy

Leanne said...

I don't presume to know how many liberal friends you have in real life or on facebook, so I'm not going to make the jump to the conclusion that this was about me (even in spite of our earlier conversation). Like a good friend told me this past month, "not everything is about you, Leanne." So I'm going to assume that if there was something that happened on my wall or in my presence that you would come to me directly; I hope we're good enough friends for that.

That being said, I completely agree. I think kindness can go the furthest distance. I'm not perfect, and I'm sure I've hurt your feelings in the past. For those moments, I hope you'll forgive me.

PS Congrats on the public blog! I hadn't noticed; I hope it works well for you this time!

Anonymous said...

Bravo, Mindi.

Katie said...

Welcome back!
I love the way you worded this post. There's definitely a double standard out there, and it bugs me to no end. I'm not ready to jump into politics on my blog, but this is one of the topics that's almost made me change my mind :)

Jan said...

I agree with Katie- there is a double standard out there. I always wonder why people (esp. those with more liberal views, it seems to me) get so OFFENDED when someone does not agree with them. If someone is so confident in their thoughts, why does it shake them up when someone doesn't agree? Don't take it so personal, people!

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more with this! Thank you for saying it. When Pres. Bush was in office, the libs hollared and screeched constantly about America going down the tubes. Now, when their guy is in office, they're all "geeze, why can't America get along?"