Excuse my French in the previous post. I won't apologize- it's a fraction of how I felt.
I'm not scared. I'm not anxious. Or sad. Or overwhelmed. Or nervous. Or bewildered. Or, or, or. I'm mad. I know the lingo. I know the different positions you need for x-rays for hips. I know the angles a good hip should have. I can look at an x-ray and tell you whether your baby has hip dysplasia or not. I know the different types of braces, casts, etc. I know the different ways hips can be corrected. I know I can do it. I can make it through. I don't even care that people stare- they are just curious. (btw: feel free to ask people what's wrong- we don't get offended) I don't care that I have extra steps in changing my baby. That doesn't bother me.
I'm mad because I don't want to have to buy clothes and dress my baby around a brace. I'm mad that the cute little summer clothes I just bought aren't going to work. I'm mad that I can't just carry my baby on my hip as easily as all the other mommies do. I'm mad that I can't just snuggle with my baby without a brace between us. I'm mad that it will be to uncomfortable to fall asleep with my baby in my arms after feeding her in middle of the night. I'm mad that my baby can't fit in the normal baby things (exersaucers, strollers, etc.). I'm mad that I can't just go out to the park with my baby in the summer, because the brace will make her sweat too much. But, mostly I'm mad because I have to watch my little baby learn to crawl and walk with a brace hindering her, although she won't think it is.
I'm mad- that's what I am. I don't want to have to do those things. But I will because it means my baby will lead a better life.
12 comments:
What exactly is hip dysplasia and what dooes the brace do? I've heard of it and seen the brace but don't really understand...
Oh, shoot. One day I accidently deleted all my old posts and I had explained it one time.
Basically, the hips don't form correctly and the brace just holds them in place until they do and until they are strong enough to keep the hip bone in place.
It's okay to be mad.
sorry, didn't see the other post- is there surgery involved? Can the brace be removed at any time? Jess
I'm so sorry to hear about your sweet little baby!! As moms, we never want anything to be wrong with our kids. I can't relate to hip dysplasia, but have dealt with skin issues and food allergies with Allie...and it's the pits. I'm not saying they're the same, but can feel your pain and anger!
I know the frustration of having the same problem show up in three babies. Bennett, Melea and Kendall all were diagnosed with GERD...Bennnett's is something that will affect him his whole life with possible surgery in the future. I am crossing my fingers that this next baby won't have the same thing.
I can relate to the brace interferring with daily life just as we had to strap them to a sleeping wedge so they were upright and wouldn't aspirate while sleeping, the not being able to lay them on the floor to play for the same reasons, the constant pain...worse after eating and you know how often a baby eats. I also know after you have had the same diagnosis over and over you do know what helps and what doesn't but it still doesn't change that you wanted different for this baby. Hugs to you and keep doing the best you can...and she will look darling this summer even if she can't wear those cute little outfits you bought for her.
that stinks.. :( It's okay to be mad, but remember - it could be worse.
I would be mad too! I can't imagine going through this.
Aw, again? I'm so sorry, Mindi. That isn't fair. Love and hugs sent your way.
You can be mad, stomp your feet holler if you need. Thinking about you!!
Anger is a normal, healthy emotion, and it is much better to express it than stuff it away. So sorry that you and your baby have to go through this.
Looks like you returned to public blogging again...or did I sneak in somehow? ha.
Sorry to hear about your baby. That would be so hard!! I assume the other two are fine now? Hopefully this one does good as well.
We were down state a few weeks ago and ended up sitting in front of Zane at church. I was wondering who it was because when you're back 'home' you should know everyone at church! Hope you're enjoying it down there!
Post a Comment