Over the kids spring break, we were walking downtown in the next town over and I spotted a little restaurant. Inside, a few people were nestled around a little table. Dusk was settling around me. And I was itching to capture it. Through the window. It was beautiful. Peaceful. But, I didn't. It still haunts me a little. Is that weird? Hence, the reason I was determined to conquer this "stranger" picture. I came, I saw, I conquered, I loved. I'll do it over a thousand times.
Not sure if I like this better in color or black and white. I'm a sucker for B&W. This was my favorite.
It's not perfect, I got the door frame and the pie case, but hey. I realized I'm also a sucker for a cock-eyed picture. It adds a little interest.
To do: a closer-up of a stranger. What kind of etiquette goes with that?
"Excuse me, ma'am. You don't know me, but I want to take your picture!"
Or do you just snap the photo and hope you don't get arrested for something weird?
And I'm completely serious here. It's on a need to know basis. And I need to know.

13 comments:
well, when i was in college and taking photo classes, i was brave. i just walked up to people and asked if it would be okay.
hmm.
and other times i just sneaked.
love the B & W!
Wow, I can relate to this post. I've passed up many golden moments because I didn't know if it was right to click. Especially wonderful beautiful weathered old people. They're SO photogenic, but they're also the ones that might feel so invaded if you got in their face with a camera. So I have no answers for you. :)
makes me wonder....whose random pictures is my family in?
I have no answers for you either. I have also passed up photos because of what people might think or what would happen to me:)
I love the building of your picture.
Thanks
LOL. Wow. Viewing your blog at work is sometimes bad. The previous comment is me and I meant to say Kristy and not thanks:) Too funny.
So funny, Kristy, because I automatically thought it was you. Just sounded like you or something. Then I realized there wasn't a name. And I thought I was wrong! LOL.
Cami- Never know, you have a gorgeous family!
Brita- Good! I'm not alone.
Yvonne- Thx!
E- Maybe I'll do a little of both.
Mindi, there are certain public places cameras aren't permitted, and there is a from called "model consent".
Yvonne- Thx! Good to know.
depends how long your lens is.
The lighting in these shots is beautiful. I always wondered about the public photos thing, too. Off to Google an anwer.
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/kimkomando/2008-04-17-public-photography_N.htm
Good article.
Thanks, Julie.
Post a Comment